|Chronological and political information|
Hyperion is a superhero from an alien world, where he, along with his team, ruled with an iron fist. When the people rejected his rule, Hyperion destroyed the planet including his teammates the Squadron Supreme. As the only survivor, Hyperion began his search for a new planet he could "save".
Hyperion arrived on Earth as it was threatened by large meteors (implied to be the remains of Hyperion's planet. Although the Avengers were able to stop most of the asteroids, Hyperion destroyed the largest one, an "earth-killer", making him the day's hero, even earning the admiration of J. Jonah Jameson. Not long after, Hyperion invited the Avengers, who had taken an interest in the new hero, to his Citadel, where he shared with them his "tragic" story. However, the Avengers soon saw through his lies and became worried about Hyperion's extreme ways after witnessing him deal with the Wrecker. Although Hyperion was a worthy foe, the Avengers were able to take the rogue hero down, and imprison him in a place where he could never break out.
Some time later, S.H.I.E.L.D. was keeping Hyperion contained on the Tri-Carrier. Interested in his abilities, the Red Skull and his Cabal freed him from his prison and asked him to join them. Hyperion, wanting to get revenge on the Avengers for trapping him in the first place, accepts the offer. Hyperion serves as a member of the Cabal and aids the Red Skull while having the chance to take revenge on the Avengers. He saved by Iron Man when he almost is killed by Red Skull's trap, Hyperion and the other Cabal members aid the Avengers in defeating Red Skull.
It was revealed that Hyperion's team didn't perish when Nighthawk appeared on Earth. Nighthawk has mentioned about knowing of Hyperion's time with the Cabal and considered him the "hammer" of the group. At the end of the episode, Hyperion appears on the Tri-carrier and frees Nighthawk with the intent to reform their group.
Using the Reality Gem, Doctor Spectrum alters reality so the Avengers are all criminals with darker costumes and the Avengers Tower is headquarters of the Squadron. Due to a spike in energy, Iron Man sees the real reality and manages to convince his team to come together. However Spectrum has created a machine that will give him complete control over reality, and plans to alter history so the Avengers were never born. Captain is able to get a hold of the stone and revert reality back to normal. The Squadron leaves with Nighthawk activating charges placed at the base of Avengers tower. The Avengers manage to prevent the structure from falling onto New York in time for J.A.R.V.I.S. to activate the repair systems.
The Squadron Supreme's fastest member Speed Demon is on the loose and wreaking havoc throughout Avengers Tower. Hulk must save the day by fighting the high velocity villain.
Ant-Man begins to atone by bringing his former allies to justice. His quest for redemption leads the team to an epic battle with Squadron Supreme's Doctor Spectrum.
Thor is convinced that Power Princess wants to defect from Squadron Supreme, but Hulk knows better and must protect Thor from Power Princess's duplicitous ways.
The Avengers are challenged by the fully formed and incredibly powerful Squadron Supreme for a battle that will end with only one team as the victor.
Powers and abilities
Hyperion's superhuman abilities come most likely from his alien heritage. Hyperion can release hurricane force winds from his breath, and has even caused tornadoes by simply blowing his breath and flying around in a circle. Hyperion is considered a dangerous world threat, and requires top superbeings to match him.
- Atomic Vision - Hyperion can generate powerful concussive beams of intensely hot energy from his eyes that are strong enough to knock back both the Hulk and Thor.
- Enhanced Intelligence - Hyperion possesses an enhanced intellect, and has the knowledge of someone born on a technologically advanced world.
- Flight - Hyperion can manipulate the effect of gravity on himself to hover and fly through the air.
- Freeze Breath - Hyperion can use his breath to create a gust of wind that can freeze his enemies solid, he briefly used this on Thor in Terminal Velocity.
- Healing Factor - He also has a high degree of a healing factor being able to instantly recover from any serious injuries despite his highly durable skin, organs and bone structures.
- Invulnerability - Hyperion's body is several of times denser than a normal human's, and he is practically impervious to superhuman levels of physical injury and harm. Fire causes him no damage or pain, electricity from even Thor barely effects him, he can fall from great heights unaffected, he is immune to all Earth diseases and toxins, and he requires no food, drink, sleep, or air to survive. Hyperion can easily withstand absolute temperature extremes with no discomfort. Bullets bounce off his skin taking more damage than he does, and he can easily withstand even the most powerful energy attacks and physical strikes from the most powerful of beings.
- Superhuman Senses - He has been shown to have superhuman hearing, as he overheard a conversation that was whispered between Falcon and Iron Man in his episode debut. Hyperion can hear nearly everything around him on what planet he is on, and can block out everything around him to hear a specific object. He possesses x-ray vision, and can see through all substances with the exception of lead, and he can see from distances that are miles away as if it was right in front of him.
- Super Strength - Hyperion possesses class 100+ superhuman strength and is one of the physically strongest beings in the universe. Hyperion is the strongest member of his team, and is the one who Hulk will immediately challenge from the Squadron Supreme. He is far stronger than beings such as Iron Man and Captain America and rivals the likes of Thor and Hulk. He can effortlessly bend reinforced steel, lift cars like they are books, overpower the Hulk and grapple with him nearly unchallenged on several occasions. Hyperion's brute strength is scary, and he is considered a world threat for that reason. Hyperion even knocked out Thor by punching him constantly in the episode Second to Last Stand.
- Solar Energy Absorption - Hyperion's superhuman abilities are greatly enhanced by absorbing solar radiation. Being in contact with the Earth's yellow sun fuels his superhuman powers, as the solar radiation strengthens his bones, skin, and tissues. As a result, Hyperion possesses great superhuman strength, invulnerability, and the sun heightened his senses, speed, and allowed him to fly. Hyperion cannot absorb the radiation of other suns or stars, just the Earth's. If Hyperion absorbs an excessive amount of solar radiation, his powers are augumented to near-limitless levels.
- Vortex Breath - Hyperion has been shown to use his powerful breath to create tornadoes as seen in Terminal Velocity.
- Sonics - Due to Hyperion's Superhuman senses, he is very sensitive to loud noises as he became temporary deaf after a Doctor Doom spoke "No" through his universal translator at a dangerous volume.
- Ego - Hyperion has a massive ego that the Avengers are able to exploit.
- Blue sun - Captain America used Doctor Spectrum's power prism to change the color of the sun to neutralize Hyperion since he can absorb solar radiation.
- 107. "Hyperion (episode)"
- 116. "Bring on the Bad Guys"
- 206. "Nighthawk (episode)"
- 209. "The Dark Avengers"
- 220. "Terminal Velocity"
- 223. "Avengers' Last Stand"
- 224. "Avengers Underground"
- Hyperion was created as an imitation of DC's Superman.
- In the comics, he is not a villain, and only the King Hyperion version of the character possessed class 100+ strength.
- Hyperion's voice actor Brian Bloom has already portrayed a version of Superman named Ultraman in Justice League Crisis on Two Earths.